Unit Manager Jobs
As a Unit Manager with Exemplar Health Care, you’ll be at the forefront of clinical care delivery on your designated unit.
What does a Unit Manager do?
Unit Managers are responsible for overseeing the day to day clinical care and leading a small team on their dedicated unit.
As a Unit Manager with Exemplar Health Care, you’ll support the service users on your unit to live their best lives by providing the best possible nursing and patient care.
No two days will be the same – our service users are individuals and they deserve to be treated as such. However, as a general guide, your role as a Unit Manager may include:
- nursing care – providing person-centred evidence-based nursing care that’s underpinned by clinical theory
- team work – leading the team on your unit to deliver high standards of nursing care, delegating and prioritising workloads
- quality – ensuring that the service users on your unit receive high quality, person-centred nursing care
- care plans – developing collaborative needs-based care plans through assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation
- clinical documentation – implementing and monitoring clinical documentation on your unit
- medication – ordering, handling, administering and recording medication
- mentoring – providing advice and learning to colleagues and mentoring Trainee Nurses, Trainee Nursing Associates and other learners, as required.
Rewards and benefits of working as a Unit Manager
Lifestyle and retail discounts – get cash back and discounted vouchers at over 250 high street shops, supermarkets and restaurants
Employee Assistance Programme - access 24/7 counselling and support through our award-winning programme
Paid NMC membership – get reimbursed for the cost of renewing your NMC PIN
Free RCNi membership – access the RCNi Learning Platform to support revalidation
Electric car salary sacrifice scheme – save money on a brand new electric car through salary sacrifice
Access pay early – through fastPAYE, request an advance of up to 50% for additional hours worked
Blue Light Card – get huge discounts at a wide range of retailers
Company Shop membership – get exclusive membership at The Company Shop and purchase groceries, gardening and electrical items at a heavily discounted price
Healthcare cash plan - spread the cost of health expenses through a monthly premium
Training and career development for Unit Managers
There are lots of opportunities to learn and develop in your career as a Unit Manager, if you wish.
Unit Manager induction
If your application is successful, you’ll do a four day welcome induction which covers mandatory and statutory training including moving and handling, safeguarding and person-centred care. This induction also includes our Exemplar Positive Behaviour Support (EPBS) training.
After that, you’ll do a role specific induction in your home with the support of a buddy or mentor.
Ongoing learning and development
Throughout your employment, you’ll have regular one-to-ones and Performance Development Reviews with your Manager to review your progress and discuss your career aspirations. There are lots of opportunities to continue your learning as a Unit Manager, including:
- specialist clinical skills development such as tracheostomy care
- free access to the RCNi Learning Platform to support your CPD
- in-house CPD certificated leadership and management development programmes
- Practice Supervisor and Practice Assessor training
- NHS Leadership Academy programmes.
Career progression for Unit Managers
There are lots of opportunities for Unit Managers to progress within the company including to:
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Home Manager
- Central Services e.g. in our Quality, Compliance or Project Management Teams.
All of our health care staff have the opportunity to progress within their career at Exemplar Health Care, it's just one of the things that makes us great to work for.
There’s never been a more exciting time to work as a Unit Manager with Exemplar Health Care. We’re opening a number of new specialist care services over the next five years, which brings lots of exciting opportunities to specialise and progress.
Download our career journey which shows you all of the development and progression opportunities available at Exemplar Health Care.
Apply online or with our Nurse Talent Specialist
For an informal chat or for more information about our Unit Manager roles, please contact Jane Jarvis, Nurse Talent Specialist, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01977 630830.
You can also visit our online job search to find a Unit Manager job near you.
When you’re ready to apply, complete the online application form on our website.
If your application is successful, we’ll invite you to attend an interview to find out more about you, your experience and your values.
If your interview is successful, we’ll email you an offer of employment and carry out the necessary pre-employment checks such as Right to Work and DBS check.
Once your checks are back, we’ll arrange a start date and book your welcome induction.
After the welcome induction, you’ll do a role specific induction in your home with the support of a buddy or mentor.
Unit Manager jobs
Interested in working as a Unit Manager with us? Exemplar Health Care has over 35 specialist care homes across England, all with a large range of health care staff, with plans to open a number of new homes over the next five years. Explore our vacancies to find your nearby nursing roles.
For an informal chat or further details on the role, please contact our Nurse Talent Specialist, Jane Jarvis, on 01977 630830 or NurseTalentSpecialist@exemplarhc.com