How to become a Care Home Manager
18 April 2023
As a Registered Care Home Manager with Exemplar Health Care, you won’t just manage your home, you’ll be the heartbeat of everything that happens there.
The role offers you the opportunity to shape your own service and team, and really make a difference. Have a read of our blog to find out more about becoming a Registered Care Home Manager.
What is a Registered Care Home Manager?
A Registered Care Home Manager is responsible for ensuring a care home runs effectively and efficiently.
Registered Care Home Managers oversee every aspect of their homes, alongside managing and leading a team of trained healthcare professionals to ensure the home runs smoothly and colleagues are inspired to offer the best care.
What do Registered Care Home Managers at Exemplar Health Care do?
As a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care, you’ll be at the centre of everything that happens.
Making every day better for the people we support is our main goal. Inspiring leadership from our Registered Care Home Managers is the first step in making this possible.
You’ll guide, support and enthuse your team to be their best, as well as overseeing the operational functioning, strategic development and business success of your home.
What qualifications do you need to become a Registered Care Home Manager?
To apply for a Care Home Manager role, you must have management experience in a complex care setting and a first level nursing registration with a valid Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) pin number. In some circumstances and where it’s the right fit, we’ll recruit a Care Home Manager who has equivalent experience.
As well as this, to be a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care you are required to have:
- management or supervisory training, certificate or qualification
- post qualification and clinical training and/or CPD
- leadership and management training and/or CPD (desirable)
- management experience in a complex care service (desirable).
If you have all of these things, you’re on the way to becoming a member of our team.
What skills do you need to be a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care?
Like every employee at Exemplar Health Care, our Registered Care Home Managers live and breathe our values of fun, integrity, responsiveness, success and teamwork.
If your values match ours, we’re off to a great start.
There are other vital skills you should possess to be a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care. Some of these include:
- a broad understanding of nursing care best practice for adults living with complex needs
- an excellent range of clinical, business and operational skills
- experience of the assessment, admission and discharge process, including care planning
- the ability to motivate, coach, teach and/or support colleagues at all levels
- excellent communication skills
- a thorough understanding of regulatory requirements for quality, safety and CQC standards
- financial management and budgeting skills
- a high level of emotional intelligence, able to manage conflict at all levels.
For the full skill set, read the job description here.
What are the day to day activities of a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care?
As a Registered Care Home Manager with Exemplar Health Care, you’ll support a team of colleagues and the people you support in your home.
No two days will be the same – our service users are individuals and they deserve to be treated as such.
As a general guide, your days could involve the following:
- ensuring your staff provide the highest quality of healthcare in accordance with the latest evidence and best practice
- providing a visible, friendly presence in the home so that you can be on hand for any issues or questions your colleagues or service users have
- providing clinical oversight to your home and being responsible for the everyday operations, ensuring it meets the levels of care required
- overseeing referrals to, and occupancy of the home and ensuring the financial performance of your home is as it should be
- ensuring the home has a safe, confident and competent workforce by overseeing recruitment, training and managing staff
- ensuring the home meets the overall standards required by Exemplar Health Care.
Who will I support at Exemplar Health Care?
Exemplar Health Care supports adults living with a rage of complex and high acuity needs arising from brain injuries, dementia, neuro-disabilities, mental health conditions and physical disabilities.
We also have a small number of learning disability services.
We all want to spend time doing the things we love best. That’s what we aim to give the people we support at Exemplar Health Care.
Together with loved ones and professionals, we design a care plan that’s tailored to their individual needs and goals and enables them to live life how they choose.
Our care focuses on supporting people to maximise their independence and build their everyday living skills. We empower people to live fulfilling and meaningful lives.
We encourage people to continue to do the things they enjoy. And we enable them to learn, volunteer and find new hobbies too if they wish.
What are the career development opportunities for Registered Care Home Managers at Exemplar Health Care?
Being a Registered Care Home Manager is the most senior position you can hold within our care homes, but that doesn’t mean your development opportunities come to an end.
There are lots of opportunities to learn and develop in your career as a Registered Care Home Manager at Exemplar Health Care, if you wish.
Throughout your employment, you’ll have regular supervisions and performance development reviews to review the progress of your career, care home and self-development.
Its here we’ll get to really understand you, and your goals for your career, and support you to achieve those.
Our training for Care Home Managers includes:
- specialist clinical skills development such as tracheostomy care
- free access to the RCNi Learning Platform to support your CPD and revalidation
- in-house leadership and management development programme including Leadership and Manager and Senior Leaders Talent Management Programmes
- Practice Supervisor and Practice Assessor training
- NHS Leadership Academy programmes.
There are lots of opportunities to progress with Exemplar Health Care, if you wish, including to:
- Peripatetic Manager
- Commissioning Manager
- Regional Director of Operations
- Senior Director of Operations
- Central Services e.g. Quality Manager or Compliance Manager.
How can I apply for a Registered Care Home Manager job at Exemplar Health Care?
If you’re interested in becoming a Registered Care Home Manager with us, you can visit our online job search to see our available roles, or contact our Management Talent Specialist Rachel at email@example.com.