Exemplar Health Care reaches finals at the 2020 LaingBuisson awards
24 September 2020
Exemplar Health Care is delighted to be announced as a finalist in the 2020 LaingBuisson Awards, which are regarded as the Oscars of health and social care.
Following a record-breaking year for nominations (with over 400 in total), we’re finalists in the ‘Specialist Care Providers’ category. This category celebrates outstanding providers of specialist care for adults with physical or learning disabilities or mental health problems in a residential setting.
The winners will be announced and awards presented at a black-tie event in London, which is attended by over 1,000 industry leaders, CEOs and decision makers.
Our entry for the awards highlighted what sets Exemplar Health Care apart from our competition – and what we’ve achieved over the last 12 months.
What sets us apart?
With over 30 homes across Yorkshire, the Midlands, North East and North West, Exemplar Health Care is a leading provider of specialist nursing care for adults living with a range of complex and high acuity needs.
Our mission is to make every day better for the 700+ people we support, and our 3,400+ colleagues.
What sets us apart is our:
- commitment to quality which has resulted in 94% of our homes achieving a ‘Good’ and ‘Outstanding’ CQC rating
- high staffing levels and in-house teams which enable people to access holistic care in a community-based home
- model to care which promotes small group living, alongside our OneCare services which support people on their journey to independent living.
Our key achievements
We’re pleased to see that many of our key quality indicators have improved over the last 12 months and we’ve achieved some incredible quality-focused outcomes that have helped us to achieve our goal of making every day better for our people.
Our key achievements include:
- our Fairburn Mews home receiving the first certificate of quality assurance by Huntington’s Disease Association
- opening four new homes across the country, which are already at 85%+ occupancy
- producing an on-boarding toolkit and updating our induction process, which has reduced leaver tenure with less than 12 months service by 30% over the past 12 months
- focusing on colleague retention, including an ambitious learning and development strategy and health and wellbeing plan, which has reduced staff turnover rates.
Using innovation and technology to achieve success
We see ourselves as an innovative organisation and are always looking for ways to improve our care, including through the use of technology.
Over the past 12 months we have:
- partnered a research project with Leeds University about sexuality and intimacy in complex care settings, which has been acknowledged as ‘outstanding’ practice by CQC
- designed and developed our Exemplar Positive Behaviour Support training programme, which will improve support for our residents
- developed a staffing levels app which provides 24/7, real-time information about staffing levels via a mobile app, to ensure that we have safe staffing levels in our homes
- introduced Exemplar Learning Management System (ELMS) to offer a wider range of eLearning for our colleagues, including mandatory training, the Care Certificate and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Our commitment to stakeholders
Exemplar Health Care is committed to delivering high-quality care for our residents. We invest in the quality of our homes to ensure that our residents receive the highest quality care.
We listen to our service users and involve them in important decisions about their lives and our Homes. Residents can become a Service User Ambassador and take part in our Service User Council, as well as having regular opportunities to get involved and feedback.
We know that our workforce is our biggest asset, which is why we invest in them. We offer a robust learning and development programme which includes a thorough three-day induction for all colleagues (five days for care colleagues) and ongoing CPD opportunities. For example, in 2019/20 we introduced our ABC of Caring Programme to support career progression.
We have also invested in a new rewards and benefits platform with Reward Gateway, which includes retail discounts and an Employee Assistance Programme with 24/7 access to a counselling service.
Keep up-to-date with Exemplar Health Care
Keep up-to-date with what's happen across the company and in our homes on our social media channels: