Behaviour Support Assistant
Location – You will be field based working in the Exemplar Geographical areas
Hours: 40hrs per week
At Exemplar we care for people with a wide range of complex needs, including behaviour that challenges. Exemplar understands that in many ways, this behaviour can be addressed by meeting our Service Users needs effectively and the Behaviour Support Team has a key role to play.
The Behaviour Support Team consists of dedicated qualified and unqualified care colleagues tasked with supporting all our homes with the management of behaviour that challenges.
This will include developing, delivering and evaluating training programmes from both psychological and physical perspectives.
You will be more than a trainer, you will also spend approximately half of your time working alongside our staff in the homes, supporting them with the formulation of behaviour support plans, reviewing behaviour records and working closely with colleagues to role model effective crisis management.
Assistant Behaviour Support Worker Essential Competencies:
- At least two years experience working with service users that display behaviours that challenge
- Hold a minimum of Level 2 qualification in Health and Social Care or other related subject
- Have experience in clinical practice of using physical intervention skills
- Be able to demonstrate teaching and training expertise
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude towards complex service users who display behaviours that challenge
- Demonstrable understanding of Positive Behaviour Support models
- A demonstrated understanding of relevant legislation such as the mental capacity act, mental health act and human rights act
- Will possess excellent leadership and communication skills
- Will have the ability to reflect on experience
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of standard formats
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and will be a recognisable role model for staff and patients.
- Enhanced DBS certificate
- Ability to undertake full physical training in relation to management of violence and aggression in order to deliver this training to groups of staff
- Car driver (hold full UK driving licence)
Assistant Behaviour Support Worker Desirable Competencies:
- A nationally recognised teaching qualification (For example, PTTLS)
- A qualification, or training in, delivering positive behaviour support or other models for supporting service users with behaviours that challenge
- Evidence of teaching physical skills to others for the management of violence and aggression
In return we can give you:
- The opportunity to lead and be involved in a wide variety of initiatives that will give you a fantastic range of experience and skills.
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- 40p per mile travel allowances
- Continuous professional development
- Exemplar rewards – Including retail and high street restaurant and Pub discounts, holiday discounts and 2 for 1 cinema tickets.
- Employee assistance program – 24-hour helpline and face to face counselling
“Every day I learn something new from my colleagues and service users which inspires me to be a better practitioner and a better person.”
Alexandra Ferone, Acting Clinical Nurse Manager